Thursday, August 11, 2016

I Love the 90's Song of the Day - Human Nature - Madonna

Express yourself
Don't repress yourself


In 1994, Madonna released an underrated album called Bedtime Stories, most likely due to a continuation of the backlash she received during the S.E.X. book/Erotica album period that came right before.  The album was successful, though, as it produced four singles, the smooth, bluesy Secret, the tender Take a Bow, the title cut, and this one, whose video is incredibly choreographed.  The song itself was an answer to that backlash of about three to four years prior, and the icon answers her critics directly and succinctly;

You wouldn't let me say the things I want to say
You didn't want to see life through my eyes
You tried to shove me back inside your narrow room
And silence me with bitterness and lies

Did I say something wrong?
Oops, I didn't know I couldn't talk about sex
(What was I thinking?)
Did I stay too long?
Oops, I didn't know I couldn't speak my mind
(I must've been crazy!)

And I'm not sorry
It's human nature
And I'm not sorry
I'm not your bitch don't hang your s**t on me
It's human nature

Here's the very cool vid...one of my favorites of all time!



No comments:

Post a Comment