Saturday, February 14, 2015

Six Songs of Love and Devotion for Valentine's Day


Once upon a time, when I used to write for Associated Content and then Yahoo Voices, I penned a lot of pieces on music...surprise, right?  Anyway, one of the most popular types of articles I used to write there were what I like to call musical top ten lists. These articles were all about music appreciation, whether it be the songs or albums of one particular artist, and often they were tunes centered around a theme, such as a holiday.  Well, since today is Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share an amalgamation of a couple of pieces I've written on songs for lovers.  All of the songs contained here are perfect for a romantic evening with the one you love.  Check them out...


By Your Side – Sade

This is one of my all time favorite songs, and one that I've posted many times before.  This tune was mine and Joe's song and I vividly remember a magical and very romantic evening watching Sade perform this one under the stars at Jones Beach Theater.  The song soothes the soul and warms the heart and is the perfect backdrop to any romantic Valentine's Day date.  Take a listen...



I would dial the numbers
Just to listen to your breath

I would stand inside my hell

And hold the hand of death

You don't know how far I'd go
To ease this precious ache
You don't know how much I'd give
Or how much I can take
Just to reach you
Just to reach you
Oh to reach you…


Come to My WindowMelissa Etheridge

This classic is the ultimate heartfelt emotion expressed so beautifully by Melissa Etheridge and surely goes well with any lover's theme.  Check it out...


Never Too Much – Luther Vandross

Oh, my love

A thousand kisses from you is never too much

I just don't wanna stop

Oh, my love
A million days in your arms is never too much
I just don't wanna stop


This soulful classic by R&B crooner Luther Vandross speaks so wonderfully to those beautiful feelings you get when you're in love.  Take a listen...
  


 In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel 

Anyone who's ever seen the movie Say Anything will understand why this song is on my list of songs of love and devotion.  The track fits the budding love between Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) and Diane Court (Ione Skye) perfectly, and is a great addition to any list of love songs.  Check it out...



If tomorrow is a judgement day
And I'm standin' on the front line
And the Lord ask me what I did with my life
I will say I spent it with you

My Love is Your Love – Whitney Houston

The first time I heard this song was the remix version, which I loved, but once I listened to the original, the slow, steady beats backing these beautiful words had me hooked all over again  The tune has a spiritual feel to it and it simply moves me.  If you don't know it, take a listen below and let it move you too...



Just the Way You Are – Bruno Mars

This is the most recent of the songs of love and devotion on this list, and it is my Valentine's Day Song of the Day today, so check that out here and add it to your list.  Just the Way You Are is a classic love song that’s sure to stick around for many Valentine’s Days to come and the lyrics are as beautiful as they get...

When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are
And when you smile,
The whole world stops and stares for awhile
Cause girl you're amazing
Just the way you are

So there you have it, six great songs of love and devotion just in time for a nice soundtrack to your Valentine's Day.  Simply pair these up with your own favorites and you have the makings for a very romantic evening with your loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment