Tuesday, March 1, 2016

New Wave Month Song of the Day - Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat


Two years ago, when I was still doing Song of the Day posts on John's World, March was New Wave Month.  Well I like doing themed months and since it's been awhile since I've listened to any new wave music, I figured let's go for it again.  So here's the intro I wrote on John's World's 1st New Wave Month two years back...the same will stick today:

I first became aware of new wave music probably a little later than many, but around the same time as most. For many of you, like me, MTV will certainly invade your minds this month because the then-innovative and groundbreaking channel gave new wave not only a place to be heard, but a visual, too, which contributed to the style, the fashion, and the popular culture at the time. An alternative lifestyle that went mainstream.

So look for posts that will jar your memories if you were growing up at the time. I hope to bring you to a happy place, too, reliving great times spent in blissful youth, with songs that are like precious files tucked away in the documents of your mind. Look to see and read about some great 80's new wave bands like Blondie, The B-52s, Duran Duran, INXS, Erasure, New Order, Depeche Mode, Bananarama, Dead or Alive, and some classic one-hit wonders that were theCall Me Maybe's and Somebody That I Used to Know's of their time.


First up this month is high-pitched singer Jimmy Somerville and his band Bronski Beat.  The song typified the new wave sound...heavy on synthesizers, and a little rockish, only danceable.  Oh I remember dancing to this one at the height of the evening back in 1984.  Check out Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy...



No comments:

Post a Comment