Monday, February 5, 2018

New Music Fridays, February 1st, 2018


I bookmarked an unusually high number of new music tunes this week, including Justin Timberlake's new set, Man of the Woods.  Though I saved so many tunes, I actually struggled to find five I wanted to feature.  With the exception of the first three on this week's list, I could have highlighted any of the honorable mentions and still been happy with my choices.  Check it out...

Pray For Me - The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar

Pray For Me is a hot, hypnotic new collaboration featuring two of today's hottest R&B/rap stars.  The song, from the soundtrack to the upcoming Marvel feature film, Black Panther, is instantly likable as The Weekend and Kendrick Lamar show off their best.  Check out Pray For Me...  


Us - Jennifer Lopez, Skrillex, Poo Bear

After what seems like an awfully long hiatus, J-Lo makes her return to the music scene with a brand new collaborative effort with Skrillex and Poo Bear.  Us is a Latin-infused dance number that the singer confirmed at the Super Saturday Night show in Minneapolis was about herself and current beau Alex Rodriguez.  Nice track!  Check out Us...


Savior - Iggy Azalea, Quavo

Another singer who seems to have taken quite a sabbatical from music is back with a more serious, yet nicely rhythmic tune.  Iggy Azalea returns to center stage with a deeply personal tune written at a tough period in the singer's life.  

I'd had a big breakup, and my career wasn't going well, and I sort of found myself in this space where everything that I was used to, just my day to day routine, had abruptly stopped. And I just didn't know how to get my life back together, or what my life looked like with all of these changes, and how to get a routine going again, and just how to get my happiness back and feeling normal.

Savior features fellow rapper Quavo and though it's a bit more of a serious tone than we're used to, it's got a really nice groove and with Quavo's vocals, it really works.  Check out Savior...


Proud of Me - Mahalia, Little Simz

Up and coming R&B singer Mahalia has come out with an ear-pleasing, mid-tempo gem featuring MC extraordinaire Little Simz.  Check out Proud of Me...


Lifted - Allie X, Banx & Ranx

Canadian singer Allie X has teamed up with production duo Banx & Ranx for this island-flavored jam that will be getting a lot of listens during my music time, for sure.  Check out Lifted...


And here are those honorable mentions I mentioned...

Music to My Ears - Keys N Krates, Tory Lanez
Wasted - Peking Duck
My Girls - The Vanjas
Saturday Sun - Vance Joy
Home With You - Madison Beer
Rhythm of the Heart - Stats
Proud - Rita Ora
The Spectre - Alan Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment