Monday, October 24, 2016

R.I.P. Pete Burns

Image result for pete burns

It was a sad day in the music world today as Pete Burns, once the frontman of an awesomely popular new wave band and later in life a popular British icon eccentric, lost his life today to a massive cardiac arrest.  He was only 57 years old.  Due to the fact that he was so highly renowned in his native Britain, we here in the States never got to really know the Pete Burns of the past, ooh, thirty years or so since Dead or Alive was in its heyday.  His stint on Celebrity Big Brother, the many changes to his appearance via cosmetic surgeries, and his overall in-your-face-and-be-who-you-are persona made him immensely popular on the other side of the Pond and there are many out there mourning his loss.

Dead or Alive, and Pete Burns specifically, was a big part of my youth.  Their 1985 album Youthquake was a goldmine of hard-driving dance-floor gems and I actually had to purchase a second copy because I wore out the first one.  I was lucky enough to get to see them perform once out in Sag Harbor and their high energy set still lingers in my mind like it was yesterday.   Yeah, I loved that band, so much so that for the rest of the week I'll be dedicating Song of the Day posts to his memory. Here's a taste from their follow-up album, Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know.  Check out Brand New Lover...




No comments:

Post a Comment