Friday, January 16, 2015

Flashback Friday Song of the Day - Gimme Gimme Gimme - ABBA


A few months ago in my class, I decided to start a weekly lesson called Music Fridays, where I would employ the use of songs to help teach my students English.  I've used music in my classroom often during my years of teaching and it almost always worked well, though in the past I've usually done it as a thematic unit.  I never just did random weekly songs on a regular basis.  

Well, over the past few weeks, between Christmas break and other things, we haven't had the chance to do Music Fridays, which I thought was no big deal, but guess what?  My students actually missed it!  They've been asking for me for days to return to it, and today I begin again.  Sometimes, though, the biggest problem I have with Music Fridays is deciding which song to do.  I always try to choose a song that they'll like and that they'll remember, and will work to help hone their English all at the same time.  Then, the other day a student uttered a word that brought me to an epiphany...

Chiquitita

Yeah, when I heard my student say that word, my ears automatically pricked up.  How does she know that song?, was the first thing that popped in my head.  I figured it must be a newer song that some Spanish artist did, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  But at the same time it hit me....ABBA!  I know that my students have no idea who ABBA is, and so wow...so much stuff here.

At this point in the day, I really haven't decided what ABBA song to start with (I'm going to teach them a few!), but I wanted to mark Flashback Friday with one of my favorites.  For those of you out there who are too young to know ABBA, but are old enough to have been around in 2005, you may recognize the music from Madonna's Hung Up, in which she very cleverly added her own hook to an already catchy and dancey track.  Anyway, I'm sure I won't be teaching this one to my students, but I'll share it with you.  Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment