Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Ten Albums That Changed My Life - #2 - Madonna - Madonna

Madonna (Madonna album) - Wikipedia

Partially reposted from John'sWorld, August 2nd, 2003.

Everybody (Madonna song) - Wikipedia

After playing the heck out of Everybody back in 1982, I welcomed with open ears the then mysterious singer's second, double sided single, Physical Attraction and Burning Up (which was a much more danceable version than the one that was put on the album). My thirst was quenched for a little while longer. Then, the following summer, that album featuring the now iconic platinum blonde posing youngster with the piercing eyes came out and I was simply in heaven! The people in my family can attest that way back then I knew she was something special.


I remember it well.  Crazy Eddie's on Fordham Road in the Bronx.  I hurried up there in between classes at Fordham University, where I was a student at the time.  Even then, the anticipation for more music from this new, largely unknown artist was huge.  I walked into the store and there she was, plastered all over the wall behind the register.  One of her first iconic photos gave us a first glimpse of a person who would rule the world as no woman had ever done before.  My love affair had begun! 

I'd mentioned in yesterday's post that I had become a lover of dancing by that time, and Madonna made me dance and sing...oh, I got up and did my thing for hours on end.  I loved every single second of this record, and by the time her second album debuted, it had to be pushed back because this one was so popular.  And the rest is history...and hugely my story too!  Here's a favorite track off the record, one that made me wish I had taken up professional dancing.  Here's Lucky Star...


No comments:

Post a Comment