Monday, February 22, 2016

A Black History Month Song of the Day - Touch Me In the Morning - Diana Ross

Touch me in the morning
Then just walk away
We don't have tomorrow
But we had yesterday


From the 60's we move into the 70's with one of my favorite singers, Ms. Diana Ross.  Back then many were appalled by her less than amicable departure from the Supremes, but nonetheless one of the original divas took the word by storm as a solo artist, racking up 27 Top 40 singles, 6 of which hit the top spot, including this one.  Touch Me In the Morning was Diana's second #1, following the smash Ain't No Mountain High Enough.  The song is beautifully written, and although I'm not sure many of us would be begging for the kind of heart rending separation she's looking for after such a beautiful romance.  The tune is a little on the sad side, but when she gets to that chorus...bam!

If I've got to be strong
Don't you know I need to have tonight till you're gone...



No comments:

Post a Comment