Thursday, February 25, 2016

A Black History Month Song of the Day - Goin' Back to Cali - LL Cool J

I'm going back to Cali, rising, surprising
Advising realizing, she's sizing me up
Her bikini - small; heels - tall
She said, she liked, the ocean
She showed me a beach, gave me a peach
and pulled out the suntan lotion
Now I thought that was fast, but this girl was faster
She's lookin for a real good time
I said, "Close your eyes, I got a surprise, "
and I ran away with the bottle of wine


A very monumental era in black music history was the dawn of the rap age in the early to mid-1980's. It all began with the early and primitive sounds of the Sugar Hill Gang and went big time mainstream a couple of years later with the trio from Hollis, Queens known as Run DMC.  Before the genre morphed into hip-hop (some have returned to calling it rap these days), another fellow from Queens by the name of LL Cool J carried DMC's torch into the late 80's and beyond.  LL had a string of hits in those days and perhaps none cooler than this one, a slow, steady jam about, well, California life. So if you were ever a fan of the genre, click play below and relive the smooth stylings of LL Cool J and Goin' Back to Cali...



No comments:

Post a Comment