Tuesday, August 29, 2017

New Music Fridays: August 25th, 2017 - The Week's Hottest New Tracks

Hello and welcome back to John's Music World New Music Fridays.  This week's slate of releases was not overly stellar, but as always there are a few new nice tracks to sink your teeth into.  Check out this week's best in new music...

New Rules - Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa is a British artist who released her debut eponymous album back in June.  The album has already spawned seven singles, and this, the sixth, has been the most successful.  The tune was actually released in July, but just discovered by me on my weekly expedition for new music, and it caught my ear for its tropical, easy-breezy grooves and its mellow vocals.  If you love tropical house, then you're going to love this one.  Check it out...


You Already Know - Fergie, featuring Nicki Minaj

On Friday, Fergie, of the Black Eyed Peas, released two surprise (well, to me, anyway) singles from her upcoming Double Dutchess album.  When I first heard the news, I immediately checked them out.  One, Hungry with Rick Ross, I wasn't crazy about, but this one...ooh!  Vintage bad girl funkdified Fergalicious!  Check out my Song of the Day post of the jam here.

He Like That - Fifth Harmony

After their irresistible smash, Work From Home, I tried, I really tried to like this girl group known as Fifth Harmony.  I went through their catalog of tunes and never quite found anything that floated my boat, until this one.  He Like That is a funky, mid-tempo tune that's got head bopping beats, and a nice, catchy hook.  Check it out... 


Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift

I am not now, nor have ever been any sort of fan of Taylor Swift, so this one is included simply for posterity.  I've seen a lot of negative comments from Swift fans about this newest single from her upcoming Reputation album, and even a really bad review of the song and the video in USA Today.  I don't think the song is all that bad.  Yeah, it does sound like she's kind of whining about whatever negatives have floated her way over the years, but musically this one is pure unadulterated pop, and proving it so, Swift's video shattered a record previously held by Adele for most YouTube views in a 24 hour period.  Check it out for yourself...


Havana - Camila Cabello, Young Thug

This last entry is unusual for this sort of post, mostly because it's not really mainstream.  It's got an irresistible mid-tempo Spanish back beat set to former Fifth Harmony member Cabello's sultry vocals.  I loved this one from the very first listen.  Check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment