Sunday, November 24, 2019

Song of the Day - Controversy - Prince

Image result for controversy prince

Once upon a time I found myself in a music appreciation class in Fordham University when one of the graduate students gave a lecture on a recently released album by a little-known artist named Prince.  I remember him talking about the thematic album being full of controversial topics of the day, such as gun control, nuclear war, God, homosexuality, self-pleasure, and all other sorts of taboo topics.  That in itself was interesting enough, but when the lecturer shared that the artist had not only written all of the songs, but he played every single instrument and laid out every single vocal track, I knew I had to run down to Crazy Eddie's and make a purchase.

Thus was the beginning of my membership in the fandom of one Prince Rogers Nelson, or simply Prince.  Of course this uber-talented legendary musician would go on to make a great many hits, and a great many wonderful non-hits, too, and these days we all regale him, as we should, as one of royalty playing up there in Rock and Roll Heaven.  Controversy wasn't Prince's first hit, but it was the first song (and album) to make me a bona fide fan, and it is still a great song!  Check it out...  


No comments:

Post a Comment