Sunday, October 22, 2017

P!nk's 'beautiful Trauma': A Track by Track Review

Image result for beautiful trauma

Now that I've had a week or so to digest P!nk's new album, beautiful Trauma. it's time to make an assessment.  The album contains 13 tracks, the same as The Truth About Love, though that album had several incarnations which contained a few more.  So my first thought after listening to the album left me wanting more.  I came across a tweet from Idolator that summed up the record better than I could...
That assessment  is spot on.  P!nk does things on this album that she's never done before and on several tunes, she showcases her talented voice more than ever before.  Possible pop hits are limited here, and there are even a couple of songs I'm already sipping, but it is P!nk, and so of course there is some meat here to sink your teeth into.  So without further adieu, here's my take on the songs of beautiful Trauma...

beautiful Trauma

The second song released in advance of the record is not one that immediately sticks in your head.  The tune begins like a ballad, but by the time she gets to the chorus, P!nk has you singing along to the uplifting chorus and the tune grows on you in no time.  One of my favorites off the record.  Check out an inspiring performance of the song on SNL...



Revenge, with Eminem

The last time Eminem appeared on a P!nk song was Here Comes the Weekend from The Truth About Love, and I absolutely did not like it.  Out of all the songs on that abum, this was the one I listened to the least, for sure.  Not so much this time around.  Revenge has the feel of an old school groove, and our mistress lays out a catchy rap and once Em drops in, it feels like a true duet.  To my glee, I've already heard this fun one on the radio and it made me smile!  Check out Revenge on YouTube.

Whatever You Want

Whatever You Want was the third and final release in advance of the record and this one's classic P!nk.  This acoustic gem is just that, a gem!  The track is very catchy and very radio friendly and could land a hit for Ms. P!nk.  Check out Whatever You Want...



What About Us 

The first song released from beautiful Trauma is also the best it has to offer.  With a poignant political message, a powerfully produced video, and of course P!nk's unique style of creating appealing music, this one inspired me to write a post just to say how much I appreciate her and her music.  This one got me and I am sure many people excited for the new album.  Check out What About Us....  


But We Lost It

They say everything is temporary
Who the hell are they anyways
I wanna know where does love go to die
Is it some sad empty castle in the sky?
Did we just shoot too high and spoil like wine?


You walked by and it's like our bodies never touch
No love, you hold me close, but I don't fell much
I cry, maybe time isn't on our side
We had a thing but we lost it
One more go, I kinda thought if we took it slow
It might be easier for us, yeah for us to know
I know we never been quite here before
I wish I knew it when we lost it


On The Truth About Love, P!nk proved she can do a power ballad as good as anybody, and But We Lost It is one killer heartbreak song.  For anyone who's ever lost it with a special someone, this one will surely hit home.  Beautifully sad!   

Barbies

Okay, so here's the first song that I did not connect with.  Maybe it's because I never played Barbies in my room...check that, it is the reason.  I just don't connect with it lyrically.  This one's another down-tempo tune, and it's got its nice melodies, but that's where it ends for me.   

Where We Go

The melody in this one reminds me of something else I've heard before, though I can't quite pin it down.  Somewhere in the alternative 90's perhaps, and mixed with a little bit of today's chill.  This one is easy breezy and very likable, with  nice, rhythmic verses and an uplifting chorus.  Check out the audio for Where We Go on YouTube.

For Now 

Here's another, this time more rockish, power ballad that's beautifully written and powerfully performed.  This one's got that concert, hands in the air feel to it, and it really shows off P!nk's powerful pipes in a way we haven't seen much of before.  It's not my favorite, but like the folks at Idolator said, it's got lots of heart.

Secret

Now here's a fresh sound for P!nk, and I am loving it.  More mid-tempo and pretty hypnotic, this one reminds me of something Madonna might have done back in the day, and no, not because of the name of the song.  Secret is definitely an early favorite of the album.  Check it out on YouTube

Better Life 

Here's another tune that brings a little bit of freshness into P!nk's sound.  Hearkening back to her R&B days, though a lot less brash than then, this one's got a really nice groove to it.  I can definitely hear Better Life more on R&B radio than in pop, and I think it'd make a great single.   Take a listen on YouTube.

I Am Here

This one gives me goosebumps!  I Am Here is yet another new sound for P!nk, and this time it's a downright gospel feel, complete with a backing choir and foot stomping inspiration, and the vocals are simply spectacular!  There are a lot of dead links out there for this one, unfortunately, so you're going to have to get beautiful Trauma to check it out.     

Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken

I once penned an article for Yahoo entitled, Songs That Make You Want to Jump Off a Bridge.  Well, this song isn't quite that, but let's just say I'll be skipping this one a lot.  It's just not my type of song, though the vocals are really...wow!   Probably the best they've ever been! 

You Get My Love

If you didn't know that this was P!nk singing, you might think it was a Diane Warren song or maybe even Barbra Streisand.  Again, it's not my type of tune...it's very torch song, but that being said, I don't think anyone's ever heard this type of vocal range from her ever.     

So there you have it, the songs of beautiful Trauma.  The new album is not nearly as exciting as P!nk's former collection.  She's clearly pushing her own boundaries with many of the songs and sounds on the record, and her range is surely expanding.  As was mentioned in the tweet by Idolator, there are not a lot of potential singles here, but it's all quality, lyrically, vocally and musically, and though fans of P!nk's who were looking forward to another Truth About Love may be disappointed, but then again, maybe they'll learn to love some new musical styles from their favorite artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment