Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Song of the Day - Forever Came Today - The Supremes

Image result for forever came today

Though she didn't perform this particular song last night, Diana Ross did do a whole set of classic Supremes' tunes at her show in NYC.  I wasn't really surprised by it because it wasn't one of their biggest songs.  Still, I love the tune, and my pal Larry, who accompanied me to the concert last night, loves it!  In fact, he turned me on to this particular performance from the Ed Sullivan show circa 1968.  

Back in the day, there was a lot of controversy surrounding Forever Came Today.  Followers of Diana might recall it as being one of her first solo songs.  Mary Wilson, in her memoir Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme, claims she never sang on the tune and it was recorded after Florence Ballard had been fired from the group.  Not a pretty moment in Diana's history, for sure!

Regardless, the tune is classic and the performance even more-so.  Check it out...



No comments:

Post a Comment