Saturday, March 9, 2019

An Intimate, Feel-Good, Dance-Filled Evening With Robyn


I was sort of ambivalent about going.  My boyfriend had to work and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go it alone.  But then again it was Robyn...

There's Madonna, there's P!nk, and then there's Robyn!  These are three ladies, all of a different stature in the world of pop music, and Robyn surely holding the least, but none of these three are more dear to my heart than the other.  Each of these ladies have had an indelible impact on the soundtrack of my life and so how can any of them visit my town and me not go see them?  As the week wore on and Robyn's first ever visit to the "World's Most Famous Arena" drew closer, I became more and more excited at the prospect of watching once again what I believe to be pop music greatness in action.  I bought myself a ticket yesterday afternoon and excitedly boarded the train into the city straight after my workday.

This was the third time I've seen Robyn in concert, and though each of the three concerts were very different, they were all great in their own way.  Robyn has a knack for making pop songs that actually mean something.  They're thoughtful and real, and the dance undertones of her music make her a very special entity in the pop/dance music world.  During her over 20-plus years in the business, she has amassed quite a base of adoring fans, as evidenced in my Song of the Day post from this morning, and her energy and enthusiasm while performing is largely unmatched.


Back in November, Robyn announced the Honey Tour in support of her first album since 2010's monumental Body Talk series.  The tour started and will finish in her native Scandinavia, but in between she included shows across the U.S., and her New York stop would bring her to Madison Square Garden.  


I am not a professional concert-reviewer by any means, but I do what I can, and this headline from the NY Post's Chuck Arnold says it best.  For more than two hours last night, a sold out crowd of Robyn's fans, including me, danced and sang along as if they were in the more intimate setting of a late-night club.  

The Swedish songstress segued perfectly through the songs of Honey, blending them with tried and true favorites from Body Talk, 2005's Robyn, and even her 2015 collaborative dance floor jam with La Bagatelle Magique, Love Is Free, a definite highlight for me.  Indeed, from the moment she entered the stage performing her new Send to Robyn Immediately/Honey, the crowd was on its feet, where it stayed until the very last of five encores.  

The entire evening was a euphoric experience which by now has famously carried over into the subways after the show was over.  Check out the two videos of impromptu dance parties down below MSG on Billboard.

Well, that's all I've got to say about my wonderful Friday evening.  I can't wait till next time!  Please check out some photos of the show, as well as the set-list below...





Send to Robin Immediately
Honey
Indestructible
Hang With Me
(Paola cover)
Beach2k20
Ever Again
Be Mine!
Because It’s in the Music
Between the Lines
Love Is Free
Don't Fucking Tell Me What to Do (The Mekanism Remix)
Dancing on My Own
Missing U
Call Your Girlfriend

Encore:
Trust Me
Stars 4-Ever
With Every Heartbeat

Encore 2:
Human Being
Who Do You Love? (Joakim Remix)
(Kindness feat. Robyn cover)







No comments:

Post a Comment